free shipping on all U.S. orders over $99

Ask Dr. Schultz

Unusual skin condition

Asked by Victoria

Hello Dr. Schultz, I have these things that look like a wreath — they are round with a definite hole in the middle they are not that large and look like a pimple with a hole. I have tried everything. Can you tell me what they are, what causes them, and how to get rid of them?

Victoria answered
    Dr. Schultz 1.86K Rep.

    The bumps you are describing sound like they are enlarged oil glands called sebaceous hyperplasia. They result from over-stimulation of the oil glands and are more common in women post-menopausally since they have less estrogen to compete with the existing amount of male hormones present in all women. They are treated either with oral Accutane, by laser surgery, or by cauterization with acids in the dermatologist’s office (e.g., bichloroacetic acid).

    Dr. Schultz answered

      Search Questions & Answers

      Browse Questions By Topic

      Didn’t find what you’re looking for?