free shipping on all U.S. orders over $99

Ask Dr. Schultz

What is this lump?

Asked by Jonathan

My girlfriend has a small lump on her back. When expressed it produces a white discharge. I do not believe it is a pimple. There is no pain, it is recurring, and there is no “head” just what looks like a large pore. It is similar to the discharge that comes out of my old ear piercing, assuming that helps. What is this called and is there a proper treatment?

Jonathan answered
    Dr. Schultz 1.86K Rep.

    Your description is excellent.

    You are describing a sebaceous cyst which in effect is a giant comedone (whitehead/blackhead), a type of a pimple. If expressing it does not cause it to go away, then to make it go away it needs to be surgically excised by a surgeon or a dermatologist.

    Dr. Schultz answered

      Search Questions & Answers

      Browse Questions By Topic

      Didn’t find what you’re looking for?