free shipping on all U.S. orders over $99

Ask Dr. Schultz

What treatment is there for sebaceous hyperplasia?

Asked by Barbara Munro 3 Rep.

Little tiny pimples under the skin.  Some bumps on skin.

Barbara Munro answered
    Dr. Schultz 1.86K Rep.

    Thanks for your question. Sebaceous Hyperplasia is a medical term for giant oil gland. They look like pimples or white heads, but they are not. Acne medications won’t work. If you have a few, I recommend to my patients that they are most easily treated by a doctor with an acid called bichloroacetic acid. The doctor would touch the acid to the oil gland, and immediately it will turn white, then becomes crusty in a day or two. After about 10 days, the crust will go away and the oil gland will be gone. However, if you have more than a few, it’s better to speak to your dermatologist about lasers, or photodynamic therapy, which is the process of using laser light to activate a chemical painted on the oil glands. There’s no visual downtime and it takes about 2-3 treatments. I suggest discussing your options with your dermatologist.

    Dr. Schultz edited answer

      Search Questions & Answers

      Browse Questions By Topic

      Didn’t find what you’re looking for?